Thursday, September 23, 2010

Updates on the Kiddies

Now that Mini-Fantabulous and Little-Awesome are living 3,000 miles away from their parents and 150 miles from each other, they are the happiest they've ever been.

Little-Awesome had her second day at her new school today and so far everything's going well. My Aunt, grandparents, cousin (not to mention the 5 goats, 3 cats, flock of chickens, three dogs, and two baby chicks who have also taken a vested interest in her upbringing) and I were a little worried that she refused to go two days in a row, making herself nearly three weeks late in starting.

Luckily, she finally got herself around and did not become a elementary school dropout. Her new school is about 45% Hispanic. Half the time they are taught in Spanish and half in English. Naturally, I was hoping she would befriend one of the minorities, upping my street cred as the mother of a diversity minded daughter. I mean, aren't children innocent to the petty distinctions we make as adults?

"Did you make any Spanish speaking friends?"
"You mean the brown kids?"
"Um . . . yeah, the brown kids."
"No, they ignore me."

Apparently not.

Meanwhile, Mini-Fantabulous is having adventures of her own. I called her a few days ago finding she was at a birthday party. Fine. I personally don't approve of her going anywhere where junk food might be served, but the girl needs a life.

Later she tells me how great it was:

"We went to the park after dark and on the way Billy-"
"There were boys there?"
"Yeah, but anyway, we were being too loud and this old grandma in curlers and a bathrobe came out and yelled at us-"
"Wait, they let you wander around the city in the dark?"
"Yes! So, Billy said something back to the old lady and then she said she was going to call the cops-"
"What! What did he say?"
"I don't know, but-"
"Oh my god! Did she really call the cops?"
"I don't know we ran away and then when we got back to the party, we couldn't find this one kid anywhere and-"
"Someone went missing!"

Needless to say, a few days later, when she tried to get me to override my sister's decision to never let her go back to that house, ever again, not even to watch the premiere of Glee on their huge flat screen TV with all her friends, I was in total agreement.

Not to be deterred, Mini-Fantabulous tried to bargain her way into watching it at another friend's house. However, when I talked to my sister about it, I discovered that Mini-Fantab hadn't mentioned that not only were her friend's parents were out of town, but her 16 year old brother and a group of his friends were there. Alone. With no supervision.

What the heck? Is 12 the new 21 or what?

As you ponder, I give you Sexy Beast



Dynamic Squats
Me:19,16,16,15,13,15
AC:20,20,18,17,17,16

Revers Push Us
Me:09,05,07,06,06,06
AC:17,11,08,09,08,09

Dive Bombers
Me:05,04,04,4.5,4,4
AC:09,07,06,06,6,5

Prisoner Get Ups
Me:05,05,06,06,06,06
AC:04,05,05,05,05,05

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. talk about a control freak. Kids will be kids, boys will be boys and girls will be girls. The more your try to control it, the more they will rebel in the future. You think you have problems now? Wait until they're big enough to go tell you to fuck off.

I may not be the most perfect dad, but my kids realize that and as a result, are pretty open and honest about stuff. They need to make mistakes to learn from them and if you keep trying to shelter them from that, they'll make bigger and more mistakes.

Mr. Awesomecool said...

First of all, sending our daughter to live 3000 miles away with her 20 year old aunt, at the very least makes her a remote control freak.

Secondly either you have never met or been a 16 year old boy, or would have to be a sympathetic child predator to think that it would be OK for 12 year old girls to wander around in the middle of the night, or hang out unsupervised with 16 year old boys.

I have never claimed to be a perfect father, but even I would have to be an idiot to let 12 year old children (the key word), do anything unsupervised. Yes boys will be boys and girls will be girls, but no parent should throw up their hands and say 'fuck it, that's just how it is.' the whole point of being a parent is to protect your kids until they are old enough, and mature enough that they can protect themselves, not just from outside dangers but from themselves.

Besides, when I was 12 everything I did unsupervised was either stupid, illegal, dangerous or a combination of the three. Especially around girls.

Hell, I still think I need supervision.

Chicken Wire, the Harbinger of Heavenly Annotation said...

You two guys should hang out!



But seriously, though; the notion of sixteen-year-old boys and twelve-year-old girls together unsupervised has 'bad idea' written all over it.

SuperFantabulous said...

I sense a bromance brewing!