Saturday, August 28, 2010

Strawberry Jam and Cheese Sandwiches



Be prepared. Soon Korea is going to be lousy with a new sandwich. The cool kids will call it SJ&C and they'll demand it in all the 'western' type restaurants because they've learned that strawberry jam and cheese sandwiches are the shit back in America. And while these sandwiches become more ubiquitous than a side of kimchi and rice, you'll wonder, "Where the fuck did this monstrosity come from?"

Well, let me tell you: It all started back in Winter Camp when I absolutely refused to write 'Sausage and Ham' on my ingredients list, despite Mr. Toads persistent insisting. As a result, someone higher up decided on strawberry jam and cheese.

Now they've resurrected it for Summer Camp. Perhaps, I'm the only one surprised, as the children obviously loved it. This time they upped the ante by adding knives and forks. In one of my more surreal Korean moments, I instructed the kids on how to eat their SJ&C sandwiches with a knife and fork.

Lest you all think I'm a complete nut job, I made sure to bring my camera to document the whole sorry episode:


Ingredients


Since we have to eat with knives and forks, why not make our lives even more difficult by dishing out the jam with a knife and fork?


Spreading the jam on the cheese


Cutting it. Not quite the way I demonstrated, but what do I know? I'm from America. The only thing we use a knife and fork for is steak and homey don't play that.


Sandwich art!!


Not really.


Bonus: Sweeping while talking on the phone! Super cute.

5 comments:

DrugstoreCowgirl said...

I really love strawberry and cheddar sandwiches.

Danielle said...

When I lived in Sweden, I ate jam and cheese sandwiches, and they were delicious. But, it was elder flower jam, and some really delicious organic cheese (not the orange processed kind).

Prestige Hagwon Daily News said...

During my teaching days, I was known to make a mean bread kimbap. I'll never forget when little minsoo dropped an entire plate of bread kimbap on the classroom floor, and the entire class dove right after it and ate them all without thinking twice!

Berly said...

a. what the fuck is kimbap? It sounds like a kungfoo move only done on people named Kim. Back the fuck off people!

b. what the fuck is minsoo? I don't even have a joke for that one because I seriously do not know what that is.

c. I really thought you made half this shit up. Now that I have photographic evidence, I BELIEVE!

SuperFantabulous said...

a. Kimbap is the Korean version of sushi. Usually it has ham, eggs and some pickled vegetables.
b. Minsoo is apparently the name of a Korean kid who drops bread kimbap all over the floor!
c. I don't have the imagination to make this crazy shit up!!