Monday, June 7, 2010

Inferno

Summer has been violently thrust upon us. Yesterday and today I've been melting my Pacific Northwest ass off. Back home, if this type of weather suddenly showed itself, we'd all be freezing our ass off at a frigid air conditioned 60 degrees. I'm not sure which is worse.

Now, I'm going to give you all some advice, Clissy Snowfrake-style. If you need to go to the doctor while you're in Korea, don't try to go to an 'international' 'medical tourism' type hospital like I made the mistake of a few months ago, thinking they'd be better acquainted with Longhead-specific ailments. Instead, just wander into to any local, not-famous clinic.

Go to the receptionist, she'll take your alien registration card. You'll sit and wait a while, then she'll tell you to go somewhere else. You might have to mime a few things to the nurse, but most doctors speak pretty good English. The super bonus is, it will be a 10th of the cost of the fancy hospital and about the same amount of inter-linguistic hassle.

It's my fourth day without glasses. My situation reminds me of a lecture I once saw a Muslim giving on converting people of other faiths to Islam. He said, it's easier to convert an atheist than a christian.

Everyone was confused and demanded answers.

He explained, "An atheist is already halfway to believing the basic tenant of Islam."

Everyone was still confused and demanded better answers,

He explained, "The first part of the basic tenant of Islam is: There is no god."

Everyone understood.

He continued, "Therefore, all the atheist has to is learn the second part: But allah."

So, much in the same way, I'm halfway there. I don't wear glasses. Now all I have to do is learn to see.

1 comment:

Chicken Wire, the Harbinger of Heavenly Annotation said...

So, much in the same way, I'm halfway there. I don't wear glasses. Now all I have to do is learn to see.

The great experiment continues!