Monday, January 4, 2010

Cold Feet

Well, Winter camp started off swimmingly. I woke from a dream that my first week of Winter camp was over. I was so relieved!
Then I was wide awake and filled with dread, because it was all just a dream! Winter camps start today! I also knew, deep inside my heart, with a certainty I've never experienced before that it would be mere seconds before the alarm would go off. In that moment, I was the rightest I've ever been or ever will be. Why I chose that moment, instead of, say, being right about lottery numbers, I'll never know, but I can take solace in the fact that, for once, I was right about something .
I stumbled into the living room where Mr. AwesomeCool was motioning excitedly out the window.
"It snowed last night! It snowed a lot!"
"Yeah." I didn't look.
He chose this moment to be extremely observant, "You're not looking! Look! Look!"
I shifted my gaze ever so slightly in the direction of the window. If it really had snowed a lot last night, I didn't want to know about it.

I managed to successfully avoid meaningful eye contact with the windows the whole time I was eating breakfast, getting dressed and making tea. Therefore, when I finally was outside, I was stunned to discover it really had snowed a lot last night and realized far too late that my work shoes were in no way, shape or form adequate for this situation. My feet became instantly wet and freezing.

We made it to the bus stop and discovered that Korea is about as competent at dealing with the snow as my little black flats are at keeping my feet warm and dry in a blizzard (I use the term 'little' extremely figuratively here).

The first bus, slid right on past us, went with it, and just kept going. The second bus was too full. The third bus was our only hope as, according to the blinking red GPS at the bus stop, the only other bus had disappeared from the radar. Probably spinning it's wheels in a ditch somewhere.

What normally is a 15 minute bus ride, turned into an epic journey of momentous proportions. We slipped and slid past stalled cars, accidents, people stumbling in the street. All the while the snow kept falling.

Mr. AwesomeCool and I left the bus many stops early, tiring of the turtle pace and the sardine-like conditions, which meant more walking in the snow, which meant even wetter and colder feet for me. I arrived at school completely disheveled and 20 minutes late.

Luckily, everyone understood. Korea and snow do not mix.

Not only that, but a whole half an hour of Winter camp melted away like snow into my shoes, so in the end, I'd say it was totally worth it, even though, now hours after I've arrived, my feet are still wet and freezing.

2 comments:

LouDog said...

How was camp? As bad as you expected?

Expat Wannabe said...

It was not quite as bad as I thought it would be.