Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Negative.

I've been dreading my Winter camps and hating the cold weather so hardcore that I've forgotten to take notice of how good I have it here. So here's a rundown of how Korea has made my life better.

Bonus number one of living in Korea:
Currently I'm on two weeks of paid vacation. How awesome is that? For comparison, I'll tell you how many weeks paid vacation I got at my last US job.
0
A big fat 0. I think the rule was, after five years you got one week paid vacation and after seven years you got two. I quit after six months, so I got no paid vacation. Working at a grocery store was not my thing. I never would have made it to paid vacation time.

Bonus number two of living in Korea:
We're actually able to save money. I was reading a friend's blog and life appears to be quite rough economically back in the USA. Not that it was any good while we were there either. My husband worked as a carpenter. He made something like 18 dollars an hour. Nearly half of it went to taxes. The rest went to rent and food. We were never able to save a dime.

Bonus number three of living in Korea:
Since we have extra money, we can do fun things. Back home, we could never really afford to do anything. Once every three months we would do something anyway, like go out to eat. Here we take weekend trips to Seoul for thrilling, humorous adventures with shocking frequency.

Bonus number four of living in Korea: Korea has secret vegan tendencies. We've found vegan ice cream shops, vegan bakeries, vegan restaurants and best of all, the fabulous all you can eat vegan buffets that are surprisingly prolific here. Not only that, but even with the transportation cost, it's still cheaper than going out in the US for a single serving dinner.

Bonus number five of living in Korea: Affordable health care. I heard that without insurance getting a tooth pulled here costs around $100. In the US, right before we came over here, Mr. AwesomCool got his tooth pulled with insurance and it cost us $500. I don't think the Obamacare they're pushing through back in the US is going to do jack shit to help anyone but the insurance companies. Which leads me to number six . . .

Bonus number six of living in Korea: I'm out of the loop. I don't hear much about US politics which is just as well. Why get all worked up over what those creepos are doing? Anyway I have this guy to tell me what Obama the Velvet Hammer and The Ivy League Mafia are up to in amusing, palatable little doses.

That doesn't mean that there aren't things that drive me mad about living here, but those are things I can live with. What I can't live with is busting my ass at a job and not getting a paid lunch hour, let alone a paid vacation!* I mean, if little old Korea, still in the dark ages of things like dog eating, manages to make the US look archaic, there is a serious problem going on. Makes me think twice about ever going back.



*I would never, ever bust my ass at any job. That was only written for dramatic emphasis.

5 comments:

LouDog said...

I made over $20.00 an hour. And I worked two jobs and we still couldn't save a dime.

Expat Wannabe said...

That's right! I completely forgot about your second job! Life was even shittier than I remember it!

Chicken Wire, the Harbinger of Heavenly Annotation said...

Long live the Asterisk.*


* And I agree with most of what you said, especially regarding one's ability to save money.

Thebeginningandtheend said...

Ah, but what if your chair broke at your job, and it resulted in a busted ass?... I'm sorry, I don't really need to prove that it can be done.

Expat Wannabe said...

That is so true. You have found the loophole through which my ass could potentially be busted at work. If that ever happens, the universe might start to unravel.