Thursday, December 3, 2009

Lost

From time to time I have been known to have a bad attitude. When someone asks me to do something they could do perfectly well for themselves (such as cut deformed ants and grasshoppers out of garishly colored felt) I get annoyed. I'll do it, but I'll do it with a very bad attitude. So there.

It is especially annoying when somebody tells me I have to do something and the words, 'it is your duty' enter the picture.

Last week, I was informed that 'it is my duty' to attend an ESL orientation. I threw a huge tantrum for the benefit of Mr. AwesomeCool. He is so lucky. I wasn't going, I told him. I didn't care if they fired me, I told him. Orientation was stupid and I never, ever do stupid things! He of all people should know this!

He didn't really care what I said and had no control over whether I got out of it or not, so I bitched to the coordinator. My compelling arguments fell on deaf ears. To make myself feel better, I thought to myself, "Wouldn't the really stupid thing here be to lose a job where you spend half of your day saying a few things in English and the other half writing blogs, facebooking, and generally taking 'unproductive' to whole new levels?"

Yes, it would. So, at the beginning of this week, I went to orientation. I had a bad attitude and hated every minute of it. I'm pretty convinced that the two were completely unrelated and that, despite my own personal biases, the whole thing was a complete and utter craptacular waste of time.

In other news:
Blue left a bag on the subway the other day. I am having an extraordinarily hard time getting over it. It keeps me awake at night.
So many things lead up to the losing of that purse that if one thing in the chain hadn't happened, she would still have her purse.
1. Blue almost forgot it when we left the house.
2. I went to get it for Blue. I saw it had a lot of money in it. It didn't even occur to me to take it out.
3. I made Blue bring her coat against her will. I have a thing about being cold. If anyone around me looks cold, I feel cold too. Blue wasn't cold so Blue carried the coat, hindering Blue's ability to keep track of the bag.
4. We got on the wrong subway, sat there for a minute then got off. Blue could have left the bag there.
5. I usually ask if everyone has their things before we get off the subway. This time I asked after it was speeding away.
6. Once the subway was speeding away, I thought it would be pretty easy for the Korean subway people to get the purse at the next stop.
7. Being able to get Koreans to do anything easily is impossible.
8. I thought Koreans didn't steal things, so it would for sure show up in lost and found. It didn't.

Boo fucking hoo.

4 comments:

Chicken Wire, the Harbinger of Heavenly Annotation said...

8. I thought Koreans didn't steal things, so it would for sure show up in lost and found. It didn't.

No one in Korea steals (if one discounts cellular phones, MP3 players, money, wallets, purses, bicycles, credit cards, bank account information, laptops, technology, virginity, hopes and/or dreams as things to be pilfered) so I'd appreciate it if you'd kindly refrain from any further generalizations.

Expat Wannabe said...

Lesson learned. Refraining has officially commenced.

Kimberly said...

Bummer about the purse, but I want a job like yours. wah.

Kimberly said...

"From time to time I have been known to have a bad attitude."

Really? I've never noticed. lol

HA! I just happened to re-read this piece.