Thursday, November 5, 2009

Rearranged

Yesterday, the principle suddenly appeared in the 'English Office'. The 'English Office' is actually my co teacher and I and our desks and two giant cabinets in room ridiculously over sized for it's purpose.
I never know what to do around the principle. I know he's my boss, but it doesn't seem like it. I rarely see him and when I do, it usually has nothing to do with work.
He also has a strange voice. Kind of like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. It's very deep and hollow sounding. He also jerks around excitedly when he talks, as if he expects conversation to suddenly become a contact sport. Not only that but his eyes dart around non-stop, like they've got localized ADHD.
When he left, the co-teacher told me, "He says we must move desks."
Me, " . . . "
I should mention that when I first arrived at this school, my co-teacher said the same thing, because my desk was positioned so that my back was to him. I wasn't really interested in moving furniture, so I just smiled and sat down and thought that was the end of it. But in Korea, a problem doesn't just disappear. It keeps coming back like the evil dead until you finally knock it's head off with a blunt object.
So the desks were moved. Now we're perched side by side, staring at the same wall. The unexpected benefit of this new arrangement is that I can now tell for certain when my co-teacher has fallen asleep at his desk and no longer have to guess, afraid to turn around lest he is wide awake and waiting for just such an opportunity to corner me into a 45 minute long conversation.
When the desk situation was resolved, co-teacher was still not satisfied. He decided the cabinets must also be moved.
I tried not to get involved, but when he nearly pulled one over on himself, my conscience forced me to intervene. It was an awkward undertaking. Much like parallel parking. All the angles had to be right. I nearly lost a finger when it got caught between the cabinet and the wall.
The relocation was no easy task and in my opinion, the cabinets were perfectly fine where the were. But what do I know about proper Korean 'English Office' arranging anyway? I'll leave it to the experts.

No comments: