Friday, October 30, 2009

Work

Here is what my workday looks like:
9:10-12:20 I go to class with my co-teacher where I read verbatim from the teachers manual, discussing ridiculous scenes like this:



And this:




Don't miss this:


I don't blame Peter at all for not wanting to sing with Jinho. What kind of freak enjoys playing the piano and singing? And did you notice Nami's weird pronounciation of 'th'? She annoys me with her 'dat' and 'dank you'. I don't bother with correcting any of dat dough. De kids wouldn't know what I was talking about anyway. And don't get me started on Ann and her violin playing! I don't know who that other kid is. He's not around enough for me to bother with.
I replay these little scenes three or four times per class, four classes in a row, picking apart every sentence.

Even worse though, are the songs. We listen, then listen and repeat line by line, and then the boys must ask the question and the girls must answer. Then, just when I don't think it could get anymore exciting, the girls do the asking and the boys do the answering! The first time I taught a song my co-teacher asked, "Why you don't sing with the children?"
Me, "I was singing."
Him, "You must hab uh duh big boise."
Me, "Sigh."

So I sing songs much like this one loudly:



Then I usually go eat lunch in the cafeteria, just to avoid the questions about why I don't eat lunch in the cafeteria. Everyone sits there looking uncomfortable while sneaking glances at the weird foreigner and her weird food.
After that, from about 12:40 to 4:40, I sit and do nothing. I have no tasks, but I am still required to stay at work and get paid for sitting here doing nothing. Doing nothing. Getting paid. Its a hard concept for an American to grasp. It took me about a month to get used to it and now it is something I never want to give up. So, even with the hokey songs and stilted dialog, I'd say it's a pretty good gig and dats a lot to be dankful for.

2 comments:

Chicken Wire, the Harbinger of Heavenly Annotation said...

That song has inspired me to work even harder toward doing even less on a daily basis. Thanks.

Expat Wannabe said...

These songs tend to lead one in that direction, once one recovers from the hypnotic power of Minsu and the gang.