Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Health Check!

Today Mr. AwesomeCool's co teacher took us to the hospital for our HIV etc test. First we had our blood pressure, weight and height measured. Then our eyes checked along with our ears. Next I was asked to become shirtless in a little changing room where there was already a shirtless little old lady. I was a little thrown off, but if they don't care, then I won't care. I got my chest x-ray and was able to re-shirt myself. Next we went to another building to give pee and blood samples. Instead of the fully protected, tamper proof plastic cups with lids we get in the US, we got dixie cups with a line drawn on by the technician. Not only that, but the pee collecting bathroom is co-ed. So I was able to pee in a public bathroom next to Mr. AwesomeCool for the first time. Ahhhh, the memories.
Mr. AwesomeCool and I weren't sure what to do with our pee cups, feeling carrying it around was a little dangerous and unhygienic, we put it on a little shelf that opened up into the testing room. That was wrong. What we were supposed to do, was carry the cup from the bathroom, to the testing room and place it on the technician's desk (!). She laughed with her co-workers when we motioned to the cupboard. Sirry Amelicans!
Lastly, the technician took our blood right at her desk, with our pee right next to us, with a bench full of waiting Koreans as an audience. She didn't bother with the gloves either, so I made very sure she was switching out her needles before I bared my veins.
After that Mr. AwesomeCool's co-teacher took us to Mr. AwesomeCool's school where, after a screaming "Hi! Hi!" and maniacal double handed waving session from the students, we met the principal. He thanked us for helping South Korea during the Korean war.
Oh . . . Hmmm . . . I wasn't born for another twenty years, but . . . you're welcome?
They also asked us if we knew about Samsung electronics and were delighted to hear us spout off a litany of appliances back home that were Samsung.
"Samsung makes good TVs." We concluded.
"Thank you bery much." They answered solemnly, as if they had anything to do with it.
The principal also said, "Mr. AwesomeCool gives a good impression. He has a very kind face."
Which is the most true thing I've ever heard anyone say about him. Koreans have freaky insight into the soul.
Mr. AwesomeCool starts teaching tomorrow! I start Thursday. NERVOUS!!
When we got home we were harassed by Christians! Can you believe it? A Korean and Chinese missionary came to our door and attempted to convert us. They were really into the heavenly mother, whatever that is. I told them emphatically, "No, no, no, no, no." But they were persistent, not letting a little thing like not knowing each other's language get in the way of soul saving, or whatever they were trying to do. They found an English pamphlet and pointed out various bible verses. I shook my head. They pointed to Jesus. "No, no Jesus!"
"Why?" They asked.
"No." I said.
"Oh!" They murmured among themselves, then found a picture of DaVinci's Last Supper, only they called it passover.
"No. Last Supper!" I pointed at the picture, "DaVinci! Last Supper, not Passover!"
They didn't give a crap and pointed to a pamphlet that said since Jesus rose on a Sunday, the sabbath is actually on Saturday. This along with the heavenly mother seemed very important to them.
Finally they called their friend who spoke English. He wanted to prosthelytize to me, "Did I have some time right now?"
"No." I said, adding, "Bye!"
I gave back the phone, "Bye!" I waved enthusiastically at them and moved to shut the door. That, they seemed to understand.

1 comment:

Enormous Plumes of Smoke said...

Ugh. How annoying that you have to endure that even there! We never had anything like that happen to us in Costa Rica. Of course we had gated communities. You couldn't get in unless you could prove you lived there.