Sunday, September 13, 2009

Two Hamburgers, One Workout

Today I tried something new and it kinda didn't work out. On Saturday, there is an hour long spin class followed by a half hour spin class. I've always thought of trying both, but have never seriously considered it. There are some people who regularly do two classes a day, even two hour long classes. I've always thought of those people as insane and having no lives. Today was my day to join their ranks! Probably because I'm leaving in just a few weeks and might never come back. I couldn't leave my beloved spin without at least trying two classes in a row, could I? No I could not.

The first hour was Ok, although the whole time I was obsessed with the fact that I was going to do it all again right afterwords. Somehow that thought alone made it seem infinitely harder. After the first class I had about 15 minutes to change out of my sweat drenched clothes and wander around wondering what the hell I was thinking.

By the time I was back in the spin room for round two, I was feeling good. I was dry, relaxed, and looking forward to the half hour. I was starting to think I was some kind of cardio bad ass. Then the class started. During the warm up I noticed a strange feeling down below. Instead of legs I had unruly appendages resembling wet lead noodles. My legs were excruciatingly heavy and the slightest bit of exertion sent them into fits of burning and limpness. I was saying, "Go faster, damnit!" and they said, "We caaannnn't! We're much too tired!!" Luckily a few minutes in, they went numb, then all I had to worry about was getting them to turn the stupid wheel. At least I had something to focus on to distract me from the fact that everyone was beating me! Even with barely any resistance I was the slowest, sweatiest and most panty.

Now several hours later, even after an extra big lunch, a full body fatigue has set in. Typing is almost too much effort.

One time after a particularly hard class the instructor said, "Last time I did this workout, I ate two hamburgers for dinner and still woke up starving in the middle of the night."
I would say today was definitely a two hamburger workout.

1 comment:

Enormous Plumes of Smoke said...

This post makes me want to go take a nap.