Saturday, September 12, 2009

Holy Fucking Shit

When something big happens, it kinda takes you by surprise, even if you've been expecting it. We got our visas today and now we are expected to fly to Korea and start our jobs. On a side note, I wonder if it annoys the South or North Koreans for that matter, when, in our western laziness, just call them all Korean?

I was kind of hoping it wouldn't happen. Probably 100% related to the beautiful September weather. The second it starts raining, the pain of being in RainTown in winter will surpass my fear of flying to a country I've hardly even thought about and am not really interested in. Not to mention, the major Korean English teacher forum eslcafe.com is full of bitter, hateful, miserable people who presumably became that way because of moving to Korea.

Also Mr. AwesomeCool got accepted to the University of Auckland in NZ. He is supposed to start in March, but our contract doesn't end until next September. He suggested just ditching our schools in February. I don't think that's such a good idea. I would much rather just wait here in RainTown until March. But then again, he's going to be layed off soon and then we'll once again have no money and he has to pay his full tuition all at once because he's a foreigner. Not only that, but he's planning on studying Urban Planning, which to me doesn't sound that cool and very much like yet another useless degree. I campaigned for him to go into mursing.
He said, "I don't wanna be a murse. You be a murse!"
I said, "I can't be a murse! I could be a nurse."
Needless to say, he lost that battle, but he's probably going to win the war.
It seems kind of insane to be slingshotting around the globe like this.

5 comments:

Enormous Plumes of Smoke said...

I vote that you wait here until you go to NZ because why would you pick Korea or NZ???
I just have a bad feeling about Korea I guess. I bet its not that easy to just ditch a job there. You might get shot on your way out.

Expat Wannabe said...

I agree, shooting of escaping foreign teachers is quite common over there. If we hate it, it will be an easy choice and by then we might have enough money saved to get our visas for NZ. If we stay here, Louis will get laid off and we won't have any money! :(

Enormous Plumes of Smoke said...

unemployment, though. Right?

Expat Wannabe said...

No, no unemployment for us.

Enormous Plumes of Smoke said...

Really?