Thursday, August 20, 2009

Turkey?

Would I really go to Turkey? I don't know, but I applied for an ESL job there. I had an interview and Mr. AwesomeCool has his tonight (I applied him too, without his knowledge or consent I might add. Thus are the privileges of marriage.) I looked up on Happy Cow to see if it is possible to be vegan there. I noticed somewhere that Spain is one of the hardest places in the world to be vegan and I agree as they don't consider many a living, breathing animal to be an actual animal. I managed just the same, except in a few questionable instances when I was eating out. However, here I read that in Turkey there is this Islamic slaughtering celebration where everyone sacrifices a sheep. And this happens out in the streets!? in brood daylight?! Where everyone can see it?! Actually, I would love it if they did that here. If you want meat you've got to see it die. If you can't stomach the sight of a frightened animal in death throws, don't eat it. Period.

And it doesn't help my vegan search any that Turkey is also of coarse 'turkey' and people are always looking for that infamous lump of soy and wheat protein the Tofurkey aka vegan turkey! Frustrating!

I was just interrupted by a Latvian girl selling educational books to earn money for college. I didn't buy any, but I gave her a z bar.

Furthermore!! Turkey is very close to Iraq. I mean, we could probably fly to Baghdad in a few hours. Also!! I don't know about the weather. It's conflicting. It seems like it would be nice and warm all year round, but the interior is beyond freezing, something like central Alaska, and the coastal side is what was described as a warmer central Europe. Not what I'd hoped for.
IN ADDITION!! Some guy I met in the sauna at my gym who had been to over seventy countries told me Istanbul was his favorite place in the world. As in literally, because he had seen pretty much the whole world.


And also there's this:



Mr. Erdogan seems like a bad ass, no?

3 comments:

Enormous Plumes of Smoke said...

I have a good friend who has been to Turkey. She loved it. She is also a world traveler and loves the middle east. She also happens to be Danish and doesn't have the US stigma hanging over her head. I wonder what it must be like to live in a truly FREE country?
I say go for it!

Enormous Plumes of Smoke said...

By the way, that Latvian girl came to my door also. I gave her a Zbar as well. What a horrible skit they've given her. Terrible way to spend your summer.

Expat Wannabe said...

Did you really? About five seven years ago, a French guy came to my door selling books and I bought a set before I knew what happened. Exact same skit.