Monday, June 22, 2009

Music

For a long time, I thought I didn't like music. I'll become obsessed with a song here and there and listen to it constantly and then get bored and never want to hear it again. Usually a song here and there over the years, by a band will become a favorite. It is sooooooo rare though, that I hear something and that it implants itself permanently into my soul. So I thought I didn't like music. Then one day it dawned on me. It isn't that I don't like music, it's that I grew up listening to the best of the best.


And nothing else could compare. These modern acts, so vapid, so embedded in the soulless corporatocracy. It just isn't the same, something has been irretrievably lost.




We didn't listen to the radio, growing up, except for the 'oldies' station where we could catch some of these songs.



Most of the time I forget about these people. Then one day, for whatever reason, I think of a song I loved and now, thanks to YouTube, I can watch them singing it, something I was never able to do before.



The only problem with watching a song or two performed, is that I quickly get addicted. I have to see just one more and then one more still and then a different version of the same song and then the same performance over and over again. And when it comes to one this delicate flower:



My world turns inside out and suddenly my life becomes a fragmented shadow of what life should really be. I mean, what is the point of even existing if you can't be Janis Joplin?

No comments: