Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rome, Italy!

First and foremost: I got to see the Sistine Chapel!! I got to see it!! I actually saw the Sistine Chapel with my own eyeballs!! I can still hardly believe it!! The day after we got here I insisted that we go. Immediately. I was not missing the Sistine Chapel for anything. Several years ago I read The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone about Michelangelo and ever since then I've been totally in love with him.
In order to get into the Sistine Chapel, you have to wind through miles of the Vatican Museum. That was okay at first but after about 45 minutes and three false alarms I was starting to wonder if we were ever going to make it, I mean, a person can only hyperventilate so many times before they actually pass out. Luckily that didn't happen and we went down the steps into a huge room filled with people, heads tilted skyward. The door had a diagram of a camera with a cross through it. As we entered, one of the many guards said, "No picture, no video." Really? Then how was I able to do this?!



Booyah!!! I'd like to pretend like I was super stealthy and covertly snapped a photo without anyone knowing, but everyone in that room who had a camera was blatantly taking picture after picture after picture. Some of them even using a flash! I didn't do that, because I heard it damages the paintings. *smug* I would never intentionally harm my boyfriend's artwork.
In other news, the first night we got here we were wandering the streets after another harrowing mix up. Mr. AwesomeCool hadn't read the instructions on our apartment booking which said check in at our office, not the apartment! Thanks to Skype, we were able to call from a street corner and get the whole thing straightened out with a bonus: The apartment we were supposed to rent was flooded so we got a bigger one (actually it's ginormous) for the same price. YAY! However, we were supposed to pay only 75 euros in cash and the other 325 euros in cash. If you remember from Madrid, somebody got his wallet stolen and we no longer had an ATM. So somebody had to learn how to get a cash advance on a credit card (go to a bank) and ask 7 banks the next morning before somebody found one that would do it (Yay Deutchabank!)
After all that we were starving!! Mr. AwesomeCool went out into the Roman night and came back with this:


That would be a vegan organic pizza. Made in Italy, by Romans! Haha!! It was literally . . . LITERALLY, the best pizza I have ever had. Sigh. I never thought my life could be so complete.

No comments: