Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Nuances

I never appreciated the English language before I moved here. And it isn't just because I can understand it. It's because we have a word for everything and can express sarcasm and irony far beyond the limits of any other language. For example: The Spanish can't say, "Whatever!" "Duh!" "Like" (as in, "That is, like, so stupid!" or "So???"
They also don't have a word for a few seemingly ordinary expressions like, "locked." They say, "closed with a key."
A really weird English word use that I had never thought of but can't be translated is, "keep", as in, "She keeps hitting me!" I don't know where that came from, but if you try to translate it literally into Spanish it doesn't make sense. If you think about it, it doesn't even make sense in English.
This lack of verbage shows up in movie titles especially.
"White Chicks" becomes, "Blonds With Hair on their Chest"
"The Hot Chick" becomes, "This is Not My Body!"
"The Pacifier" becomes, "A Super Tough Babysitter"
"Along Came Polly" becomes, "And Then She Arrived"
"Meet the Fockers" becomes, "His Parents" (I think they just got lazy with that one)
"Finding Nemo" becomes, "Looking For Nemo"
"Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" becomes, "I Want to be Super Famous"
"Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle" becomes, "Two Very Smoky College Students."
Even the Dog Whisperer fell victim (The Enchanter of Dogs).

No comments: