Thursday, December 11, 2008

Babel

Having lived in Spain now for almost three months and having barely improved in my Spanish skills, I have become very, very thankful for my ability to understand at least one language fluently. I find it amazing and wonderful whenever I talk to an English speaking person that I can understand each and every word they say and I'm not even trying. That sounds can combine to form a meaning that further combines to form ideas that other people can understand is incredible! Sometimes I find it so mind boggling that I think I could suddenly loose the ability to understand English and everything will be meaningless chatter.

With that in mind here is the German word of the day, courtesy of The German:
Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung
Any guesses as to what it means? Post them in the comments! And don't babel fish it!

And our Spanish idiom of the day:
Borracho como cebolla grande
"Drunk as a big onion"

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Well hung under the skirt on a windy day?

Was I even close?

Expat Wannabe said...

Haha! Good guess. I'll give you a hint, you won't see this sign on the autobahn.

Kimberly said...

Mmmm....drive slow, duck crossing?

Expat Wannabe said...

"Speed Limit"