Monday, July 21, 2008

Homeland

The whole family (meaning grandparents, aunts, cousins) went on a trip to Joseph, Oregon. That area is the summer grounds of my Nez Perce ancestors. It was amazing, beautiful, fun. That is after the first three days in which one of the aunts (who shall remain anonymous) went nutso and nearly ruined the whole trip for everybody. People were kicked out of lodges, gravel was thrown, lawsuits were threatened, half of us were stranded all day in a shadeless campground where a deer ate our gram crackers and chocolate.
Secondly, I owe myself a huge congratulations because I have lasted a whopping two months at my job, absolutely obliterating my former record of six weeks! YAY ME!
Thirdly, I got my school placement in Andalucia and I'm right next to a fucking uranium mine. Of all the goddam cities in Spain, why did I have to end up in the radioactive one?? Can you tell me that? Do I just have incredibly bad luck or what?
Fourthly, my kids just left for Ashland with my cousin Travis and my sister Jane. I'm suffering from withdrawal already. They won't be back until Friday. This will be the longest they've ever left me! I feel like an amputee. What the heck do people do with themselves when children aren't dominating every aspect of their existence?

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

"What the heck do people do with themselves when children aren't dominating every aspect of their existence?"

Answer: Pour a glass of wine, put your feet up and pretend you don't want to cry. Sorry, but true.