Friday, April 4, 2008

Oh! My Bulgarian Villa!

I'm really over France. I'm not sure what happened, maybe it was that I never got around to taking a French class and moving to a country snobbish about it's language and not being able to speak it is overwhelming. I'm still going to be an assistant if they want me. I never heard anything about my visa and nobody from the French company has emailed me. I think in a manner most characteristic of these people, they forgot.
Anyway, since my last post, I have also applied to be an English assistant in Spain. This is much less scary for me because I've taken six years of Spanish and could use my limited abilities to at least find food, shelter and a bathroom. The only problem is, even if I get selected, all four of us could not live on my salary, so I doubt we'd be able to go anyway. Now that the weather is finally becoming nice here I'm not quite as desperate to leave. My husband applied to schools in England on a whim and it was only later we realized there was no way we would be able to afford it. Very disappointing since one of the schools he applied to was in Glasgow and was the most vegetarian friendly city we've ever seen. Now we've stumbled upon Bulgaria. Newly inducted into the EU and a recently recovering communist country, it is cheap and sunny. We did a house search and discovered that a few miles out of town we could be the proud owners of a veritable fortress, sheathed in grape vines and surrounded by cherry, pear and plum trees. All for about a quarter the cost of the dump we currently reside in. And it doesn't remotely resemble a fortress.

No comments: