Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Up Past My Bedtime

Last night Blue had a high fever and I couldn't sleep with worry. I had to take her temperature every few minutes, putting cold packs on her head, asking if she wanted ice chips, etc. I think it's so trying to care so much! Why is it that at the least sign of danger the mother mind goes into a complete panic, spiraling towards the worst possible outcome. Or maybe that's just me.
So after waking up every half an hour to make sure she was still breathing, her brain wasn't boiling and she wasn't in need of anything, I finally fell asleep at around 4:00 satisfied that her fever had lowered and everything should be fine, only to be woken up by Husband who lurked over us to feel her forehead at 5:30 scaring the hell out of me. Then an hour and a half later, it was time to get Green up and off to school.
I came home drank tea, cleaned, exercised, watched a movie (Driving Lessons: Very funny, Rupert Grint is adorable) and finally lay down at about 1:30 to take a nap. I was just drifting off when I was jolted awake by a loud buzzing. The first time I ignored it, too tired to care if the house was being swarmed by bees or not. The second time I opened my eyes (sans glasses, I couldn't see very much)to see a large blob flying towards me. I jerked backwards and grabbed my glasses. The thing headed back toward the window in it's relentless bid to project itself through the glass.
As I slid my glasses on, my eyes focused on what had to be the biggest yellow jacket I have ever seen, mere inches from my face.
I have no idea where it came from, but I was reminded of the time the girls collected a wasps nest from my grandparents house. They brought it home and put in in a jewelry box for safekeeping. A few months later, having forgotten all about the nest, Blue opened the jewelry box and five wasps flew out! I don't know how they survived in there (I think cannabalizm had something to do with it as there were several hollowed out wasps corpses) but it was quite shocking and sad. We managed to get two of them safely out of the house, the rest were never seen from or heard of again.

No comments: