Saturday, February 23, 2008

Currently Watching . . .

The Painted Veil based on the book by Somerset Maugham by the same name. So far it is excellent. I read the book a few weeks ago in preparation for watching the movie. I always try to read the book before I see the movie. Unfortunately this means I miss out on many excellent movies because I never get around to reading the book. Cider House Rules and Angela's Ashes to name a few. Of course I see many movies having no idea they are based on a book.
Another excellent book set during outbreaks of cholera is Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez. I haven't seen that movie yet, though I'm not all that excited to since nobody seemed to like it. Both books involve torrid love affairs, beautiful women and exotic locations. Who knew a disease known for killing people through debilitating diarrhea could be so sexy.

No comments: