Friday, February 1, 2008

No!!! Japan Doesn't Want Us!!

I checked the husband's results on the JET Program website and alas! he was not selected for an interview. There's always next year. And the year after that, and the year after that (the age limit for the JET Program is forty!) Hopefully we'll both get into the French Assistantship program. I have a sinking feeling that even if we both get in, husband is going to back out and refuse to go. I've thought about this eventuality and I've decided that I'm going without him. I also have a sinking feeling he didn't get into the JET Program because he described himself as "grizzled" in his essay. I didn't say something at the time because I thought the rest of his essay was really good and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. It probably didn't make a difference, but I just can't imagine a Japanese person feeling comfortable with a grizzled person teaching their youth. And to make matters worse, he's not even grizzled! I haven't told him yet. He's been rather depressed lately, being a carpenter (read: Man who works out side in all weather), and in a Bush Economy, no matter how hard you work you don't make enough to live on.
Speaking of weather, I never thought I would be so happy to see cloudy skies, rain and temperatures above forty degrees! After a frightening bicycle ride yesterday I learned a few things about riding bikes in the bitter cold:
1. You can get brain freeze from the wind against your head as you're speeding along on your bike. Wear a hat.
2. Slush can be deceiving. While it looks like it should be easy to ride through, sometimes it's compacted and slightly frozen. If you attempt to ride through it, you run the risk of skidding around, falling off your bike and providing endless amusement to groups of snickering teenagers.
So today I was thrilled to be riding on rain splattered roads in a relative heat wave. Although by the end of the day, I was wet and cold and screaming, "Curse you RainyTown and your bloody temperate climate!"

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I had no idea how much you hated Eugene! Next time you leave can you take me too? ;-)