Tuesday, January 22, 2008

First Post!

I've recently become addicted to reading blogs. This occurred sometime between watching Sicko and applying to the Assistants in France program (more on that in a minute). I have been wanting to leave the United States for quite some time. Permanently. My first taste of life outside the good ol' USA only lasted ten days. My family and I took a 'heritage tour' of England back when I was 19, during which we visited small towns (mostly the churches and graveyards where our ancestors worshiped/decayed) around England and Scotland. Unfortunately not one of said ancestors had the good sense to worship/die near London or Stonehenge. No matter, I loved every minute of it, even though my mother was six months pregnant, extremely hormonal and given to fits of insanity far exceeding the normal rate.
So anyway, much time has passed since then . . . well if you must know, 13 years. Do the math. Since then I've gotten married and had two kids. Needless to say, I've been busy with other things, but I've never lost my dream (cue swelling orchestral symphony), my light at the end of the tunnel, the Brad Pitt to my Angelina Jolie. Er.
Although dusty, slightly mildewed, and nearly DOA, the dream has been given a breath of vitality and a second life. After the recent US elections (by recent I mean since a smarmy son of a bush took office) and the proliferation of Wal Mart and Hummers along with the chief US exports becoming obesity and McDonald's I began to hope that I really could find my way off this sinking ship. Then came Sicko. My husband has never been one to rock the boat (in continuing with my nautical metaphors). But once we went to the dollar theater (Hey, who can afford 7.50 anymore?) and saw Sicko, he was convinced. In fact his exact words were, "Anywhere but here." Which I took to mean, "Anywhere YOU want to go, my best beloved." So I picked France. Then while I was researching how in the hell we are supposed to get ourselves over there, I found the Assistants in France program which is a program by the French government to bring English speakers over to assist with teaching English in French schools. I applied and my husband applied (which means, I filled out the application for him, wrote his essays, gathered all his information for him and sent both our applications in).
Husband had other ideas and applied to the JET program which is basically the same thing, only you're in Japan. I was supposed to also apply, but his idea of me applying was that I actually had to fill out the application myself, write my own essays, gather the information myself and send it all in before the deadline. Needless to say none of that got done.
As if that weren't enough, there is also a Spanish Assistants program and we'll both be "applying" to that one once the application becomes available.
So I've been voraciously devouring Assistants in France blogs along with random expat blogs. And now I've been inspired and offer my humble attempt at joining their ranks!

No comments: